This is the second of my two weekly full body strength workouts as mentioned in my Keto Diet Experiment, Week 1 post. These workouts are part of my weekly training routine. I also do two to three running sessions per week.
I’ve decided to post up my weekly workouts here so you can try them out for yourself. My strength workouts are purposely designed to meet the following:
- No longer than 30 Mins Duration (I train in my lunch hour!)
- Full Body Workout
- Uses compound exercises that engage lots of muscle fibres at once
- Uses Minimal Equipment, if any
- 6-8 Reps of each exercise to target strength
I’m not a big fan of barbells, dumbbells – much prefer to use either bodyweight only or equipment that is unpredictable when lifted/moved/slammed! Equipment such as sandbags and kettlebells – or tyres/kegs.
The sand in a sandbag will constantly move around as you lift it. Therefore your body is constantly challenged to readjust its position and make use of its stabiliser muscles.
My workouts are more in tune with the demands of everyday life. When you pick up a child, that child is likely to move and wriggle (a lot if your kids are anything like mine!). They are not going to stay perfectly still like a barbell would, and the weight is not distributed equally each side as is a barbell/dumbbell!
There are 7 exercises in Full Body 30 Minute Strength Workout B. I like to make use of supersets to combine exercises together and get more done in less time, similar to the structure of Full Body 30 Minute Strength Workout A. During a superset you would usually do a set of one exercise immediately followed by another with no rest.
Set your equipment up so that you can perform a set of each superset immediately followed by a set of the next superset. So for example:
- 1. Dips – do 1 set of 6-8 Reps
- 2. Pullups – immediately do 1 set of 6 reps
- 3. Rest for 3-5 mins (or less if you are short of time)
- 4. Rest then repeat the above until you’ve completed the superset.
- 5. Perform 2 lengths of sandbag walking lunge
- 6. Perform 4 lengths of farmers walk
- 7. Rest then repeat the above superset to required no of sets
- If you’ve got plenty of time you want to be resting about 3-5 mins between supersets when training strength. However I don’t have that luxury, I usually go into the next set after about 1min30 secs rest.
I usually perform the first set of 4 using bodyweight only with no added weight. I add weight during the last 3 sets
|Exercise||Sets x Reps|
|SUPERSET 1A: Dips (Weighted optional. Lean forward to hit chest) Weighted||4×6|
|SUPERSET 1B: Pullups (Weighted optional)||4×6|
|SUPERSET 2A: Sandbag Walking Lunge (approx 10 metre lengths)||2 Lengths x 3/td>|
|SUPERSET 2B: Farmers Walk (approx 10-metre lengths)||4 Lengths x 3|
|Finisher (Repeat Below Circuit x 3):||Reps|
|Kettlebell Swings (Heavy KB – up to 32kg)||20-25|
|Jumping Squats or Box Jumps||15|
Fancy trying this workout? Do you have a similar workout? Pls share in the comments.